Sunday, May 26, 2013

CMS Interview

My CMS interview took place on Thursday, May 23rd via email with the Technology Librarian from a Technical College Library.  I will include her name in the link, because I fail to get permission to use her name on my blog.


Evelyn:  How and where did you hear about CMS?

Librarian: I first became familiar with content management systems while learning about web design. I have known about the basic principles of building a website since high school, so it is difficult to pin point the specific date or place I heard about CMS. I believe WordPress was the first CMS I heard about sometime in the mid 2000’s.

Evelyn: What were the motivations to adopt CMS for its current use (library website or any other purpose)?

Librarian: The school’s web designer decided to adopt a CMS for the new college-wide website. I did not have a say in which CMS was implemented. I would assume that a CMS was chosen to quickly publish and manage pages without the need for manual coding.

Evelyn: What was the decision making criteria?  What is the name of the CMS being used?

Librarian: I was not a part of the decision making process so I am unaware of the specific criteria for choosing WordPress. I assume the web designer chose WordPress because it is one of the most widely used and content supported of the open source CMS’ available.

Evelyn:  What are the important benefits or advantages of CMS being used now over the old system or  another CMS system used in the past?

Librarian: Although I do not know the detailed workings of our previous website, I do know that there was only one person who could edit the site college wide. With the new CMS system, multiple people can create content for their areas without as much of a bottle neck problem I have come to understand the college had in the past. I think a CMS like WordPress takes a lot of the coding out of the equation, especially with the rich text editor. This can be useful for users with no HTML experience.

Evelyn:  How was the learning curve?

Librarian: As someone with previous CMS experience, there was really no learning curve. I am more used to hard coding HTML, JavaScript, and CSS. A CMS like WordPress can be limiting for someone who wants more control of the website. I am only allowed limited access, so this aspect of using a CMS can be frustrating at times. Aside from getting used to some specific web navigation, the site was relatively easy to get a handle on. I miss the ability to edit the full HTML of the page when necessary.

Reflection:  My reflection of this interview is that this librarian has experience with the use of content management systems.  However, she prefers to work with hard coding such as HTML, JavaScript, and CSS.  She also wishes to have more input and access to the website to edit the library page when necessary.  I have a great deal of respect for the experience and work that she does at the technical college library.  The librarian is a hard worker, dedicated to her field, and is willing to do whatever is necessary to assist those in need. The librarian offered me her cell number and requested if I needed additional information to contact her over the holiday weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment