Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Another CMS Interview "Just Arrived"

I just received this interview back via email.  Luckily, I submitted an additional request just in case one didn't make it back to me in time.  I figured that I may as well post it since I have it in my possession.  So here it is.
This interview was with Darrius Covington, a librarian at Chattahoochee Valley Libraries in Columbus, GA.

Evelyn: How and where did you hear about Content Management Systems? 

Mr. Covington: I first heard about Drupal when I started working here at the Chattahoochee Valley Libraries.  I had no prior knowledge that it existed until then.  Previously, I had heard of Wordpress, but had never used it myself, and did not know that it was referred to as a Content Management System.  Working here and using Drupal was definitely my first in-depth look into the world of CMS.

Evelyn: What were the motivations to adopt CMS for its current use (library website or any other purpose)?

Mr. Covington: We were motivated to adopt Drupal, because it allowed an easy way for multiple staff members to log on to the website and add content or make changes.  It is much simpler to do this through Drupal, than in HTML.  Drupal’s interface allows our staff members to log in to our site from any computer that has a browser.

Evelyn: What was your decision making criteria? What is the name of the CMS you are using?

Mr. Covington: We use Drupal, and it was chosen because it provides the level of security that we found necessary for our website.

Evelyn: What are the important benefits or advantages of the CMS you are currently using over the old system or another CMS system you have used in the past?

Mr. Covington: The main advantage, as mentioned earlier, is that anyone who we allow site access can log in to the site (using any computer) and add content, or make changes.  Also, with Drupal, you can change the entire appearance of the site, without having to do any coding or losing any content, simply by changing the theme.

Evelyn: How was the learning curve?

Mr. Covington: The learning curve for Drupal was quite steep to begin with.  Before Drupal, my web skills were based entirely on the use of HTML and CSS.  In my opinion, and in my experience, HTML/CSS are much more straightforward.  If you know the proper coding to accomplish what you want, then you are basically good-to-go, with HTML/CSS.  Drupal, however, relies on the use of several modules, which you have to learn to use individually.  There are also a plethora of additional modules available of Drupal.com that you can use to accomplish different tasks.  There were times where I needed a specific task accomplished, and I would have to search Drupal.com to find a module that could accomplish what I needed.  Once I found the proper module, I had to learn that module, as well.  With Drupal, you are constantly learning, and more modules are being made available all the time.

Evelyn: What type of training was provided? 

Mr. Covington: My supervisor, who had been using Drupal before I became employed here, showed me some of the basics of Drupal.  Then I began training on lynda.com, which provides several video tutorials, along with exercise files to practice along with.  From time to time, I searched the internet or Youtube for additional training.

Evelyn: What is your overall experience with CMS?

Mr. Covington: Drupal was somewhat difficult to learn.  I had to learn to see web creation in an entire different way than I was previously used to.  I am still learning more and more about Drupal all the time, as there are constant updates and new modules that I encounter, or haven’t even discovered yet.  At times, Drupal can be confusing or frustrating, but I think that being familiar with CMS is a very important skill to have.  Drupal has its benefits, especially with its ability to allow users to log in to the site, practically anywhere.  This makes it very convenient in a team environment.  I am definitely grateful that I have learned a new skill, and that I can say that I am familiar with using CMS.


Reflections:

Based on the answers given in this interview, CMS products presents some challenges and has some advantages.  Training is an on-going process that must be done constantly because of all the updates and new modules that are presented.  The librarian also stressed that he searched other resources for additional training, such as internet and YouTube.  Before this assignment I had limited knowledge of CMS and the benefits of it. I am happy to say that I must continue the learning process of CMS even at the end of this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment